The Healthy Communities Institute
The Healthy Communities Institute (HCI) mission is to improve the health and environmental sustainability of cities, counties and communities worldwide.
Who Are We?
We are a multi-disciplinary team comprising healthcare information technology veterans (professional internet-system developers and evaluators), academicians (health informatics experts, urban planners, epidemiologists) and former senior government officials. The company is rooted in work started in 2002 in concert with the Healthy Cities Movement and the University of California at Berkeley. Our management team from Harvard University, Cornell University and the University of California, Berkeley has expertise in informatics, public health, urban sustainability, community planning and high volume Internet sites.
Why We Do This.
The world is changing. People who work on community change face challenges. First, although a lot of data is collected and stored, people don’t always know where to find what they need. Second, if they find it, it’s not necessarily presented in understandable ways. Third, once they do understand the information they found, it is not always clear what to do about it or how to get involved. So our approach is simple:
- Present the data: Central to increasing community benefit and environmental sustainability is making current data understandable. We provide easy access to visually understandable data that informs stakeholders, policy makers and residents alike about the current health and quality of life in their community.
- Establish connections: We help to connect community members with experts and resources, facilitating collaboration amongst residents, community organizations, and policy makers.
- Deploy solutions: We provide a vast database of promising and best practices and community level interventions that have been tried across the world.
We provide solutions for…
- Strategic Planning
- Community Needs Assessments
- Various regulatory requirements at city, county and state levels
- Information & Referral Search
- Community Planning
- Custom Community Portals
Our clients include…
- County, City and State Government
- Community Coalitions
- Hospitals and Healthcare Organizations and Councils